Aimeriez-vous un verre de jus de grenade? Fancy a glass of pomegranate juice?
‘Joyeux Francophonie Day’!
Today, we raise our pom-juice glasses to wish our French speaking pom-friends ‘joyeux International Francophonie Day!
March 20th was chosen in reference to the day in 1970 when the Agency of Cultural and Technical Cooperation (ACCT) was established in Niamey, Niger. The ACCT eventually became the contemporary International Organization of Francophonie (OIF). Today 84 states and governments are members of the OIF. This year, 100 events celebrating Francophonie will take place around the world on five continents for le Grand Tour 2017, Voyage en Francophonie.
Thanks to UNESCO, 274 million Francophones across five continents have an internationally recognized day to celebrate what unites them: the French language (and a love of a good French cheese & baguette).
The General Director of UNESCO best explained the honorary day, in a letter penned for the 2017 Francophonie day: “The French language crystallizes centuries of culture and history.
It is in French that Pascal, Voltaire or Rousseau led the fight for tolerance, democracy and human rights. It was in French that Assia Djebar defended the rights of women and that Césaire, Senghor and so many others laid the foundations of modern humanist consciousness. On all 5 continents, hundreds of millions of men and women express their hopes for a better life in French.”
Let’s feed you some French Facts!
- The number of times the French kiss each other as a form of greeting varies depending on region. In Corsica, the number of kisses can be as many as 5! (If you have a hot first date, you now know where to go)
- Liberté, égalitié, fraternitémeaning ‘liberty, equality and fraternity’ (or brotherhood) is the national motto of France
- French is also the only language, with English, that is taught in every country of the world, with 100 million students and 2 million teachers – 20 % of whom are outside of francophone countries.
- French is still a working language of the UN, the EU, and dozens of international organizations including the International Red Cross committee, International Labor Organization, Amnesty International, and Doctors without Borders. Francophone countries form an important bloc in the UN, the EU, the African Union, and the Arab League
- France is the most visited country in the world with 75 million tourists every year.
- French-speaking scientists and technicians invented the hot air balloon, cinema, radial tires, smart cards, HDTV, the snowmobile, the saxophone, Velcro and more
- About a third to a half of basic English words come from French, including pedigree, surf, view, strive, challenge, pride, staunch and war.
- French has more than a million words and 20,000 new ones are created every year.
How to celebrate Francophonie Day?
French Food, French Music, French Friends of course! The UAE has plenty of French cafes & restaurants lined up for your enjoyment!
Come over & trade your croissants for our pom-juice! Sharing is caring J Our French-perts (French Experts) will be happy to guide you through our vibrant array of French courses that will surely make your day fran-tastic!